December 30, 2011

Green with Envy

I have to say I am pretty pleased with how this dresser turned out! I love the color and I have started to adore the heavy distressing. If you want to see the before click { here }

AFTER
So much better than the before!




A view from the top









I stripped this dresser, painted with a white chalk paint (so there would be white showing once I distressed), and then painted it with a homemade chalk recipe.

I used 1 cup of paint and 1 Tbsp of unsanded grout.
I doubled the amounts and added water when it became too clumpy. My paint was still a little clumpy but it worked fine.There is no exact science and it turned out great. I have read that chalk paint will dry out within a day or two. (I keep mine in a sealed container and it is still use able after three weeks and counting).

To get this color I mixed a dark sage color with a white satin paint I had. Again, there is no exact science. I mixed the colors until I was pleased with the end result.

Then I painted, and distressed with a sander. I am too impatient and I wish I would have taken my time and used a different grit sandpaper. In my opinion, 220 grit is best to use with chalk paint and it actually saves time when sanding. I took a timeout and became as patient as I can and started sanding with the 220 paper....what a difference!!!

I put on one coat of wax, added the hardware and called it a day. 

I asked you guys what color knobs and the consensus was white but I really wanted to use the black.
Since I was torn I decided a trip to Hobby Lobby would help me decide! Surprise, surprise it did help!
I found these pulls and they actually had enough for the dresser....is it just me or does HL never have enough knobs?


Here is one more look at this gorgeous dresser. I can't stop looking at it!





Linking up to these parties


22 comments:

  1. love this the color is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful! I love it. Kinda makes me wish I would've distressed my dresser more...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, I really love that shade of green. Such a unique piece!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Green with envy is right! Beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this color green too. I also used to use unsanded grout, but couldn't stand the lumps. Now I use spackle instead and it's so much easier to apply and comes out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is so pretty and I love the knobs!!! I need some new ones for a dresser I painted, going to check out hobby lobby! following you now from Debbie's party:) love for you to follow me too

    ReplyDelete
  7. Helen this is gorgeous! Visiting from Debbiedoos newbie party and just followed! Would love to see you around at my place too!
    Love, Olga
    www.stardust-decorstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Helen! This is gorgeous! I love the color! I'm always afraid to step out of the box with color, but I'm really loving this! I actually think I have the exact same dresser in my storage-I might have to whip out the paint!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice color choice. It looks pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love the color. What a huge difference. I love that distressed look. I host a link party that opens tonight at 8pm EST. I'd love for you to stop by and join in with this project.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It turned out gorgeous Helen! So glad you went with white :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Helen you relly spiced this piece up but good! Love the color and also the way you distressed it:) nicely done! Deidre~ http://simplysimplisticated4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did a great job on the chest of drawers! I'm pinning it to my Painted Furniture board.

    ReplyDelete
  14. really nice job! the color is great... pinned!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Following you @ GFC and FB via Freestyle Friday.

    http://www.sjb-myphotopage.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so gorgeous!! I love the color and distressing so much!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fab color. Looks great! {found you through Freestyle Fridays}

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a beauty-I'm your newest follower-stop by for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely awesome! Not only is it a cool looking dresser, but you've used my favorite color! Love how the distressing looks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey, just wanted to let you know that I featured you today on my blog. Thanks for linking up @ Show & Share!

    http://southernlovely.blogspot.com/2012/01/show-share-21-features.html

    ReplyDelete